Monday, February 8, 2021

Music Marketing Blog Post #2

    

 Music Marketing Reflection


    Upon completing the music marketing presentation and project, I can for sure say that the process was lengthy but fun and educational as well. Not only did my team and I create a solid campaign for our artist, but we also used the marketing techniques learned in class to create a music video to promote our artist as well. Below, one can find the explanation of the full press involved in the creation of our artist, Chastity. 

    Our team researched the genre of rock extensively so that we could create a proper campaign for our star. We compiled a list of case studies, specifically those with an affiliation to the rock genre, and created a chart documenting certain distribution steps taken by such case studies. Bands such as Foo Fighters and 21 Pilots helped us create a visual on the type of style of social media we wanted, as well as what social media to use. 
                                                  
 

We then created a google document that connected all our team members so we could all brainstorm. In this document, we discussed what type of style for the website we wanted to have, as well as clothing, merchandise, and the specific shots we wanted to film for our music video. We also created a WhatsApp group chat in order to keep in touch and make sure everyone was keeping on task with what they were assigned to do.  We created a storyboard to help us plan our shots even better. A lot of our planning consisted of what to film for our music video. For our song, "Heather, Heather", we wanted to portray our artist struggling to get a grasp on the world outside the home of her mother. We wrote the plot of the story, which is about our artist leaving her mother and her home to go off to college, and how our artist is not handling this change in her life very well. We coordinated the outfits so that in scenes where the girl was happy, she is wearing bright colors, whereas when she was stressed and depressed, she was wearing all black with thick eyeliner. All of the filmings took place in my house or in my backyard, for I was the one who portrayed Chastity. The editing was then taken to two other group members where they incorporated cross-cutting to reflect on how the girl is feeling. In some clips, a black and white filter was used to represent that there is no color from the artist's world; it has all slipped away. Next came our presentation. We created a google slides that incorporated our social media, genre marketing, internet presence, target audience, and distribution plan to present our artist to the world. We included snippets of her performing concerts as well as our website/merchandise to distribute our song for listeners on all streaming platforms. 


From this project, I learned that sometimes I need to take a step back and take a deep breath. I normally do not work well with group projects, for I tend to take over and become quite bossy. This group project helped me put my trust in my group members. On an educational aspect, I learned about the many different ways digital distribution and marketing can come together to spread something massively using the internet and social media. Although it was fun, I have decided that for the Cambridge Portfolio I will probably end up working by myself. 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Critical Reflection

My CCR Hi all! Here is the CCR, or Creative Critical Reflection, for my project. It has truly been such a fun ride, and I hope you enjoy it!...